Brian Vickers set to be named full-time driver for MWR
Michael Waltrip Racing appears set to announce that Brian Vickers will drive for the team full time next year with Aaron’s as his sponsor.
MWR sent out a media advisory Monday for a “major media announcement” on Tuesday. The announcement included the Aaron’s logo and a photo of Vickers.
MWR general manager Ty Norris declined comment Sunday when asked about the possibility of an announcement that Vickers would drive the No. 55 car full time next season. Rich Lamprey, Aaron’s director of sports sponsorships, also declined comment on its MWR sponsorship and the possibility of Vickers being the driver.
Team co-owner Michael Waltrip has repeatedly said that he wants Vickers to drive the car full time in 2014.
Vickers, who won the Cup race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway last month, is in his second year as a fill-in driver in the No. 55 car, which is primarily driven by Mark Martin. Martin runs 24 points races in the car with Vickers behind the wheel for nine and Waltrip in for three. Martin, 54, has said that he would not return to the team next season.
“I feel very at home here and comfortable and confident in our chances to be successful, so this is where I want to be,” Vickers said after the New Hampshire win.
“Aaron’s has been phenomenal to work with. There are partners that just write checks and there are partners that are partners, and they have been that for MWR and they have been that for me.”
Vickers is fifth in points in the Nationwide Series, where he competes full time for JGR. He has one win and three top-10s in nine Cup starts this season.
Vickers, who turns 30 in October, has three wins and 65 top-10s in 272 career Cup starts, primarily for Hendrick Motorsports and Red Bull Racing. He made the Chase for the Sprint Cup in 2009 but saw his 2010 season cut short after 11 races because of blood clots. He joined MRW on a part-time basis in 2011.